Friday 17 February 2012

Experiences- First off road





Where: Namibia
Car: Range Rover (old one)

My off road experience was absolutely thrilling. I'd recommend everyone try it at least once. I was invited by an online friend  to come visit in Namibia. While there we planned a camping trip with a few other friends. The location of the camp site we chose could only be reached via a rough dried up river bed and only with a 4x4 vehicle.
My friend,  owned 2 Range Rovers and we would be using both to cart supplies and people. I was asked if I'd like to be one of the drivers. Naturally, thrill seeker that I am, I agreed.

He gave me a basic training course, on the dunes. It was fantastic

I learned how to tackle steep inclines and declines, sharp corners, different surfaces etc.

The route to the camp site was very tricky, and you had to keep your mind on the track at all times. We would be following the other Range Rover, so at least for some of the obstacles, I had a bit of an idea what to expect, but some of them came as a complete surprise.

I remember one rather steep incline followed by an extremely tight bend. Now you're in a river bed, bordered by dense bush, so theres no room to go off the path, even a little bit. My friend had taught me that when driving up an incline, you accelarate going up, but ease off at the top because "you never know whats waiting for you on the other side". Well thank goodness I listened, coz as we came over that hill, that track veered sharply right, it was crazy but we made it with only the loss of a side mirror to an encroaching tree :-)

I absolutely loved every minute of that trip. 4x4ing is great fun, as long as you have the right vehicle and you know what you're doing.

I hope to get to do some more in the future.

I highly recommend Namibia as a 4x4ing playground



No comments:

Post a Comment