Wednesday 29 February 2012

Convertible 4x4? The new Range Rover Evoque convertible concept.

So Land Rover is unveiling its new Range Rover Evoque convertible concept car at the Geneva show this march, and I don't know what to make of this car.

It is certainly sexy with its rugged yet somehow sleek looks, but really, what would be the point of having a 4x4 convertible?

I'm one of those few people who believe that if you don't 4x4, don't BUY a 4x4 vehicle. I laugh at the yuppies that drive in traffic all day in their fancy SUV's that have never so much as crossed a patch of grass. I laugh even harder at the ones that buy "spray on mud" and pretend to use their 'all terrain' vehicle on anything other then tarmac and concrete.

So this concept, though gorgeous, baffles me. I shouldn't like it, yet I do. It goes against my logic of a car doing what its designed for.

If it's a 4x4, it should be used for that purpose, and where on earth would you off road in this sleek topless beauty, seriously? And those low profile tyres? I'm wondering how well this car would handle a speed bump, nevermind gravel roads.

So, in reality, you would pay a fortune for this car because it ticks so many boxes, yet you could only really use half its features. Its yet another SUV destined stay on the road. Its heartbreaking.

So I guess I feel that while it is most certainly gorgeous, it just doesn't make sense as a 4x4.   And Sadly, they put a soft top on it, I've yet to see a soft top that looks good with its top up.
My suggestion, scrap the 4x4 side, convert the soft top into a retractable hard top and we're good to go.
But that is just my opinion, and I honestly know this car will be an absolute hit with the yuppies and wannabes out there.
It still looks hot though! :-)

5 comments:

  1. I can tell you one thing or sure, if they build this they will sell the hell out of it. There is nothing else in this category at all and it looks beautiful with the top up or down

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your point. However, we shouldn't limit things and stick with the tradition. Range Rover, from my perspective, can still manage to look good as ever without the top. It will certainly catch a lot of public attention, not just because of its brand name, but the fact that it's a 4x4 without a roof; it may be unusual but fascinating for others. Range Rover had already earned its reputation long time ago, and that is enough for us not to doubt this convertible concept of theirs.

    Arlyne Nelms @Spartan Toyota

    ReplyDelete
  3. The point behind this car is something that does well in all seasons. A 4x4 with the ability to handle snow and ice covered roads and a convertible to take the heat off in the summer. It's the perfect all year round car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW Ally let me just correct you on something you said. you said you laugh at the 'yuppies' that drive in their SUV's on traffic roads and don't use them off road, well not everyone who owns a 4x4 has bought it with the intent to use it off road. mainly people just like the reassurance that 4x4's give in the sense that if they ever need to cross a hazardous area then their vehicle can handle it, as opposed to any other type of car like a hatch or a saloon. It used to be the case that 4x4's where once upon a time only driven by those who went off road, now a days they are seen and used by all (who can afford them) as a general utility vehicle. So to all the people reading this and have read what Ally thinks of you, I say don't worry about what anyone stupid like Ally thinks, if you want to own and drive a SUV on traffic roads all the time then that's up to you and totally your choice. Don't forcefully oblige yourself to take your car off road just to confirm to others that your own a 4x4 for off road use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If they ever start manufacturing these, I will buy one. I think they are PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete